Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Silent on the subject

If I seem to have gone silent on the subject of my actual dissertation then that is because of two reasons. The first is that I'm doing more reading than writing on it. I've worked my way through a few books and hopefully will have time for a few more before I have to write anything. The second reason is that, at college, there are other more pressing worries for me to be working on. I've been doing essays on Deuteronomy and Corinthians (about idolatry and resurrection respectively) and I've two more to do before the end of term; a sermon on Elisha and something about the Holy Spirit too.

But I've not stopped my thinking process and I think I've learnt a lot from being a part (even a minor part) of Sanctus 1 recently. This has given me a real insight into how alt. worship functions within an emerging church, and not just as an interesting way of adding variety to the worship of a non-emerging church. I do think there is a difference between the two. In both the worship can be true and authentic - there is no doubt about that. But in a non-emerging setting there can be far too many expectations placed on worship that is different because it is not a natural 'lets do church and see what we think is the best way of doing it' but has often been a fight against people's expectations and traditions.

I've been asked to be part of the 'emerging culture' venue at easter people this year. I remain to be convinced that it's not just a name change to be seen to be cool and up with the latest ecclesiological trends, but it does sound like there has been a real shift in (some people's) thinking - and an acceptance of the change in others. Whatever it is it's not going to be like the 'new forms' venue at Greenbelt, but then it shouldn't be, it should have an 'easter people' flavour and not a greenbelt one!

1 comment:

Dissertation Writing said...

Blogs are so informative where we get lots of information on any topic. Nice job keep it up!!
Dissertation Writing | Dissertation Advice